The official site of the City of West Jordan, Utah 8000 S. Redwood Rd., West Jordan, Utah 84088 - (801) 569-5000  
Welcome to West Jordan... home of the good neighbor
Follow us on Twitter  Facebook Search -  powered byGoogle Power
Skip Navigation Links
Online Citizen Police Report
Animal Control
Animal Adoptions
Animal Licenses
Animal Control Ordinance
Animal Control Services
License Applications
Lost Pets
Animal Control FAQ
Citizen Police Academy
Command Staff
Crime Prevention
Online Information Center
Identity Theft Information
Crime Reports
Kids Online
Domestic Violence
Investigations Bureau
Crime Scene
Missing Persons
Off Duty Employment
Officer Involved Critical Incident
Body Cameras
Patrol Services
Extra Patrol Request
Motorcycle Squad
Police Service Dogs (K-9)
School Crossings
Speed Board Request
Police Alerts
Police Service Programs
Victim Assistance
Police Support Services
Alarm Permit Application
Property Return Request
Court Security/Bailiff
Warrant Division
Professional Standards
Volunteers In Police Service
Police FAQ's
Police Officer/Recruit Results
  Animal Control FAQ
  Question: What are the animal licensing laws and fees?
All dogs and cats are required to be licensed yearly. Dog or cat owners must be 18 years or older and possess proof of current rabies vaccination for the animal. Animals are required to be licensed within 30 days of acquisition or 30 days after reaching the age of four months. Altered animals are licensed for a fee of $8.00 a year. Unaltered dogs or cats are licensed for a fee of $30.00 a year. No dog or cat will be licensed as altered without proof that such surgery was performed. A license may be purchased from the West Jordan City Hall Finance Department (8000 S. Redwood Rd.) or the West Jordan Animal Shelter (5892 W. New Bingham Hwy). To be in possession of an unlicensed dog or cat, even if that animal does not leave your property, is unlawful and may result in citation.

Question: How many pets may I have?
Each residence is permitted four dogs and a reasonable number of cats. An animal owner may keep one litter intact until the animals reach 4 months of age.

Question: What are the laws dealing with barking dogs?
It is an animal owner's responsibility to ensure that their dog is not making excessive noises, resulting in the disturbance of another. West Jordan Animal Control encourages neighbors to speak with an offending dog owner, or leave a note before requesting animal control assistance. Most often a dog owner is unaware of his dogs offensiveness to others. If, after contact with a neighbor, no change results in the animal's behavior, animal control should be notified. An Animal Control Officer will contact the dog owner, inform them of the complaint and provide them with a copy of the city ordinance and possible solutions. If the noise continues, you must realize that your assistance will play an important part to the solution. Because a nuisance takes place over an extended period of time, unlike loud music or a party, documentation will be necessary to determine if the noise is a nuisance. A video tape recording of the animal will assist in showing that this, without question, is the problem animal. The video will also provide the city with a sample of the noises being made by the dog. If the dog owner is issued a citation, you will be required to appear in court to testify to the nature of the noise. The city recommends having a second neighbor agree and be willing to file a formal complaint as well.

Question: What should we do if we are bitten by an animal?
All animal bites should be considered serious. The primary cause of bites reaching a serious nature is infection. The wound should be washed with soap and water as soon as possible and contact made with your doctor. If the wound is bleeding, apply pressure and go to a hospital. If you choose to treat the wound at home, after washing the wound, apply antibiotic cream and bandage. If you are unsure if the victim is currently vaccinated for tetanus make an appointment with your doctor to do so. If the wound becomes sensitive or swollen seek medical attention. All animal bites should be reported to animal control within 24 hours. The Department of Animal Control is concerned with monitoring the health status of all biting animals. If the owner of a biting animal is violating the law by allowing a vicious animal to run loose, a citation may be issued. Most bites are from an animal the victim is closely associated with. Contact should be made with Animal Control to ensure the safety of all involved. If the owner of the biting animal is unknown, the animal should be contained until animal control can respond and take the animal into custody. If the animal is not friendly, do not attempt to contain it. The animal may be followed from a vehicle to determine where it lives or to assist animal control in locating it. To ensure the victim's safety, post exposure shots should be discussed with your doctor or the animal quarantined. An animal quarantine may be conducted at the dog owner's home, if considered responsible, or at the shelter. If during the ten days while under quarantine the animal shows no sign of the disease, the victim will not require treatment.

Question: What should we do if we find a loose animal?
Children should be instructed never to approach a stray animal. A loose animal may be scared, hurt or mean ... resulting in a bite. There are multiple diseases and parasites that animals carry which are transmittable by touch. Adults should be hesitant as well before approaching a loose animal. Call Animal Control with the animal's description, location and direction of travel. If the animal has been observed in the area before, attempt to find who it belongs to. From your vehicle, you may follow the animal to see if it goes home. Once the owner is identified, you may contact animal control and we will educate and warn the responsible party about laws regarding his animal running at large. If the stray is friendly and approachable, check to see if the animal has identification. If the stray is a feral cat (having escaped from domestication and become wild), you may borrow a humane trap from the shelter. A deposit is required for loan of this trap but is fully refundable upon the safe return of the trap. The cat may be removed by an Animal Control Officer at your home or the trap may be taken to the shelter. All strays must be turned in to West Jordan Animal Control within 24 hours of capture. Lost animals stand a better chance of being found while at the shelter, rather than in your possession. An owner is more likely to call the shelter looking for their lost animal than your home. If after five business days at the shelter, the animal is not claimed, you may adopt the animal for a small fee. Only after following this procedure can you become the legal owner of a found animal.

Question: What are the guidelines dealing with cruelty to animals?
Cruelty is any act causing unjustifiable physical pain, suffering or death of an animal. All animals must be provided adequate food, water, and care. Care is the provision of necessary maintenance and medical attention. Shelter is required for all domestic animals, with exception of livestock. Shelter has been defined as a place of refuge, providing adequate protection from extreme weather conditions. Cruelty includes the placement of an animal inside a vehicle without adequate ventilation for an unusual length of time or the intentional abandonment of an animal.

Question: What is the rule about stray cats?
It is illegal to allow a cat to run loose in the City of West Jordan. Cats that stray may be feral or belong to a neighbor. Animal Control is just as unlikely to catch a cat as you. If the cat is approachable, attempt to catch the cat and place it in a box. Once in custody the cat may be delivered to the shelter or an Animal Control Officer called to your home for removal. If the stray is a feral cat, you may borrow a humane trap from the shelter. A deposit is required for loan of this trap, which is fully refundable upon it's safe return. The trap may then be taken to the shelter or the cat may be removed by an Animal Control Officer at your home. Another option is to trap, neuter and release. The cat is trapped, taken to a participating veterinarian where it is sterilized (vaccinated if you chose to have this done), and then returned to the location it was trapped. This will help control the cat population in the area. Please call the shelter or contact No More Homeless Pets in Utah with any questions. All cats are held at the shelter in attempt to notify the owner of impoundment. If a cat is redeemed from the shelter after impoundment the owner is notified of laws regarding cat ownership and a possible citation issued.

Question: What is the leash law?
All pets must be restrained to the property of their owner. If the animal is taken off the owner's property, or a fence is not furnished to provide adequate restraint, the animal must be on a lead or leash. All animals chained or tethered on an unenclosed premise must be done so as not to allow the animal to go beyond the property line, unless the owner has permission from the owner of the effected property. All feces must be removed from public and private property when animals are being walked on a leash.

Question: What is rabies and how is it treated?
Rabies is a viral disease that attacks the central nervous system resulting in fever, nausea, abdominal pain, paralysis, coma, and finally, death. When a person is bitten or receives a lick to an open wound or mucous membrane, the virus enters the body. Most people develop symptoms within 60 days of exposure. Cats, dogs, cattle, skunks, raccoons and bats are susceptible to this disease. Recognizing rabies in an infected animal can be difficult. Most people think of rabid animals as foaming at the mouth. In fact, most animals only display this symptom in the final stages of infection. More recognizable symptoms are those of abnormal behavior, loss of appetite, fear of water, aggression, choking, or a change in barking tones. Wild animals sometimes loose their fear of humans and become friendly. An animal may appear 100% healthy but still be infected with rabies. All bites should be reported to Animal Control so the animal owner can be required to quarantine the animal or have it tested. If within ten days of exposure an animal shows no signs of the disease, the victim will not need treatment. The delay between exposure and signs of symptoms, called the incubation period, allows time to observe the animal and avoid unnecessary treatment. To protect yourself against rabies make sure all of your pets are vaccinated, teach your children to stay away from loose animals and wildlife, and report all animals bites to Animal Control.

Question: Are animals in the shelter available for adoption?
Yes. Please see the Animal Adoptions page on this website.
Copyright © 2016 - 8000 S. Redwood Rd., UT 84088 - (801) 569-5000  Privacy Policy  Contact Webmaster