2013 Candidate Packet
2013 MUNICIPAL ELECTIONS OVERVIEW
General Municipal Elections are held in odd numbered years. The elective officers of the City of West Jordan consist of the Mayor and a City Council made up of two at-large council members and four council members representing districts 1-4, who are elected in a non-partisan election. The Mayor and City Council are elected to four-year overlapping terms.
VOTE BY MAIL ELECTION FOR 2013
The City of West Jordan will be conducting an all Vote By Mail for the 2013 Municipal Election. Ballots will be mailed to each resident of West Jordan that is a registered voter within Salt Lake County. Ballots will be mailed on the following dates:
• Primary Election Ballots mailed: Monday, July 8
• General Election Ballots mailed: Monday, September 30
Vote By Mail Frequently Asked Questions
***DECLARATION OF CANDIDACY AMENDED DATES***
Up for election this year 2013
Mayor – At Large Council Members
(All four year terms)
Citizens desiring to run for office must file a “Declaration of Candidacy” with the City Clerk/Recorder between June 3, 2013 and June 7, 2013 at 5:00 p.m. at West Jordan City Hall, 8000 South Redwood Road, 3rd Floor, West Jordan, between the hours of 8:00 a.m. and 5:00 p.m.
Declaration of Candidacy Forms must be filed in person with the City Clerk/Recorder at 8000 South Redwood Road, 3rd Floor, Utah
Note: The qualifications to be a candidate are:
(1) Be a United States citizen at time of filing.
(2) Be at least 18 years old at the time of the next municipal election.
(3) Must be a registered voter of the municipality.
(4) Must be a resident of the municipality or a resident of the recently annexed area for 12 consecutive months immediately preceding the date of the election.
(5) If elected from a council district, the person must be a resident of that council district.
(6) In accordance with Utah Constitution Article IV, Section 6, any mentally incompetent person, any person convicted of a felony, or any person convicted of treason or a crime against the elective franchise may not hold office in this state until the right to hold elective office is restored under Section 20A-2-101.5.
2013 Election Dates & Information
Declaration of Candidacy Filing Dates: June 3-7, 2013 at 5:00 p.m.
Primary Election Day: August 13, 2013
General Election Day: November 5, 2013
Swearing In Ceremony: January 2014
For additional information, please contact Melanie Briggs, West Jordan City Clerk/Recorder, at 801-569-5117 or firstname.lastname@example.org
Election Related Links:
Utah State Site: www.vote.utah.gov
S.L. County Clerk: www.clerk.slco.org
Utah Statewide Electronic Voter Information Website
Did you know you can find all of the answers you need to know to Vote at the website above?
*Register to Vote
*When and Where to Vote
*Early Voting dates and locations
*Election Day Requirements
*View your Ballot
Register to Vote
Now it’s easier than ever to register online! Simply visit the Online Voter Registration website to find out more. You need to have a current Utah Driver's License or ID Card in order to register using the online system.
Your Online Voter Registration must be submitted 30 days prior to the upcoming election to be eligible to vote in that election.
Vote the Easy Way...Vote By Mail!
Salt Lake County has a Permanent Vote by Mail Program for anyone who prefers to vote by mail. All you have to do is apply and you will automatically receive your ballot in the mail for every election in which you are eligible to vote. An application and details are available on the County Clerk's link below.
To find out if you are a registered voter, or are interested in applying for the "Permanent Vote by Mail Program" please click the County Election's link: http://www.clerk.slco.org/elections/index.cfm